Belmont Quarry is located to the immediate West of State Highway 2, approximately 5 kilometres northeast of the Lower Hutt City. Access to the quarry is obtained from State Highway 2 via Hebden Crescent.
One of only three quarries in the area capable of producing a wide range of aggregate products, Belmont Quarry provides high-grade aggregates essential for use in roading and construction throughout the wider Wellington region. Requirement for rock and concrete continues to grow, and projects such as the Inner City Bypass and Dowse Interchange have driven demand upwards by 20%. Based on the number of large roading and construction projects proposed in the Wellington region, that demand is expected to sustain and it is vital that we can continue meeting the need for high quality aggregates.
For more information about the quarry, its history, operations, and proposed development click the links on the left.
The site had a colourful beginning as a gold prospecting site prior to the turn of the 20th century; however, no bonanza was ever produced. In the 1920s, it was utilised as source of rock to produce ballast for New Zealand railways and it is our understanding that from 1935 until 1977 the site was owned and operated by River Sand and Shingle Ltd.
The site was acquired by Firth Industries together with a river plant at Melling in 1977, the two plants complementing each other in the supply of building and roading aggregates.
In 1988, Belmont Quarry was amalgamated into Winstone Aggregates Limited (as it was then) under the ownership of Fletchers, and with local alluvial materials becoming scarce, a major production plant redevelopment was implemented to enable the production of a full range of high quality aggregate products from the quarry.